Selina on her new bed!

Selina on her new bed!
Yay!

Sunday, September 26, 2010

“Better keep yourself clean and bright. You are the window through which you must see the world.” ~ George Bernard

This week was so full of leisurely entertainment! They don't call the University of Western Ontario the "Party University" for nothing, I've discovered. On Monday, as I told you, we had the New Graduate Students party. On Thursday we had the Economics Department Annual Fall party at a beautiful estate with a heritage house on it. Friday there is the weekly reunion at the grad club bar/pub, where a number of professors and graduate students from all years get together to talk about Economics and other things... This was the first week I'd been to that particular event, but the main person who runs it wasn't there that day (Friday), so it was really just a couple hours of happy hour with our colleagues. There was also a party I didn't attend on Wednesday - it had to do with the Chinese holiday that celebrates the beginning of fall, as I understand it, and the first full moon of Autumn.
Thursday's party was a beautiful experience. It was catered with alcohol included, needless to say there was more than one person who drank perhaps a little more than was necessary. I was not included in that group. The weather was wonderfully cooperative. It was warm but not too hot. Even after the sun had gone down and it was perfectly dark outside, the atmosphere was above 20 degrees Celsius. And after the yummy dinner and desserts and tea had all been served, a group of us stood outside on the steps of the house leading to the lush garden and laughed and bound our time... And only one or two of the mosquitoes was fortunate enough to leave their mark on me.
I must interject here, though, and assure you that all minutes not spent in leisure this week - of which there have been several as well - have been spent either in class, working feverishly on homework problems, or tending to some necessary activity for survival, such as making food, eating, or keeping up personal hygiene.


This morning I slept in until 8:30am, having worked all day yesterday on difficult and sometimes unnerving homework. Yesterday also, I had a window replaced in my living area because the sealant wasn't very good so there was a lot of condensation gathering on it all the time. This morning was cloudy and misty and foggy. Looking out my window it seemed only a few trees were emerging from an eerie mixture of shades of white. My living room windows cover almost an entire wall; they consist of three large windows, one mid-sized window - the one that was replaced - and four sliding, smaller windows. I noticed that the new window was clean and made all the other windows look so dusty and shaded! So before even having breakfast I got out a cleaning rag and wiped down and scrubbed all my windows. I cleared them from a black film that had been plaguing their lustre. And then, almost as if by cue or by gratitude or by some metaphysical smile that the universe had cast on me for completing this small but significant chore, the clouds began to part. Somehow the sky changed and revealed its vibrant blueness. The clouds turned from omnipotent tyrants to decorative poofs, and sun streamed in to my abode as though it were beaming with joy. It was glorious!

I invite you all to clean your windows and invite the world in.

No comments:

Post a Comment