On Friday night I got a call from Purolator telling me that a package for me had arrived. They asked me if I'd be available during the day on Monday so that they could drop it off.
"It depends what time on Monday," I said, "Because I have school that day."
The lady on the phone went on to tell me that any particular time could not be confirmed. "What about Tuesday?"
"Same thing..."
So anyhow she told me she could leave it at a receiving centre which is about a 2.5km walk west of where I live (bus only goes about 1km west on that road) for tomorrow, Saturday. Perfect. She gave me a tracking number and I was so excited to head out tomorrow to find my package of new or repaired backpack.
So Saturday came and in the late morning I headed west to find the backpack. I finally found the shopping area where it should have been and assumed it was in a Shopper's Drugmart because those typically tend to have Post-Office-like-businesses within. There wasn't one in that Shopper's though, but I had to go around within the store to get back out (one-way doors only), and apparently Shopper's was celebrating something so there was cake out in the middle of the store, so I had a yummilicious piece of cake and walked out.
The "PostNet" I was supposed to get to was only a one minute walk from the Shopper's, and there was one lady in front of me talking to a customer service rep when I got in. Another man came from the back in the typical-London-customer-service-with-no-energy-or-enthusiasm sort of way, and asked to help me out. I don't think he'd ever smiled in his life... and he was about 55 or over! From when I asked him what I was looking for he started looking all clueless. Then he started scooting in beside his coworker while she was on the phone to try and use her computer. She snapped at him, "Can you just wait?!"
So he walked away and went over to a different computer (I don't know why he didn't just try using that one the first time). Then he asks me for my tracking number and as it turns out... it's on the other end of town... waaaay south. And I look all perplexed and told him that I was told it'd be delivered "HERE, TODAY!" And he shrugs and tells in an ordinary what-can-I-tell-ya? sort of way. And then the other coworker, who was still on the phone calls my name and I turn around so confused because how would she even know my name? Anyhow, it turns out she was talking to that receiving centre (on the other side of town where my package was) and the mentioned me and wow! I just happened to be there at the exact time the lady from the other centre was talking to the lady from this centre.
Well it gets even better. I told them I didn't know how to get to the other centre and asked if I could get there by bus, but then the other customer in the store told me she would give me a ride because for a completely different reason, she had to go there too (she was missing some important information to send off some documents and so they could only do it from the main distribution centre... way down south... where my backpack had been mistakenly dropped off).
So we took the 25min (or so) drive down together. We talked about London and about Victoria and Vancouver. One of her daughters is moving to Vancouver in September. She was a very sweet lady.
We finally got there and I got my package and my backpack was inside - repaired - yay! And she got her documents mailed off. By this time it had started raining like crazy in London! My first rainy London experience! The lady was even sweet enough to drive me back to my own place - probably about 5-10min out of her way because she was from the North, too, but what a day! It was fantastic, and I didn't even get her name...
So my backpack's back! :) And I'm thrilled!
And that was the highlight of Saturday.
Weekend day #2: Sunday (yesterday)
My bed arrived at around 10:30am! Omigosh was I ecstatic! I couldn't stop smiling and belly-flopping on it! I was delirious with excitement! And then about 15 min. after the delivery guys had left, I got a phone call from the Bell cable guy, who was supposed to set up my cable that morning. He showed up twenty minutes later and I was still bouncy with excitement. But as soon as he stepped into my apartment he goes, "Uh oh..."
I was so surprised. I couldn't have the slightest idea of what could possibly be wrong with me apartment in the eyes of this cable-install personnel. "Uhoh?"
"Umm..." and he strode through my apartment past the living area and out to the deck. He spent about a minute or two on the deck looking around upwards, sideways, etc. Then he came back in with an uncomfortable and oopsie-daisies look on his face.
I returned him a questioning glance and asked him, "Is something wrong? Is there something wrong with my place?"
And he goes, "Ya, you're East facing. You can't receive a signal."
Omigosh! What? No signal? I can't have cable? So Bell can't serve anyone who is East facing only? Isn't that like 25% of the population? So many things were going through my mind! I was too shocked to be angry or upset, but I managed to put it all away to ask, "What are my options?"
He replied, "Honestly... Rogers," which, if you don't know, is their rival company.
What could I say? He left with an apology. I already have internet through Bell, though. What am I supposed to do now?
So I went back to the mall and returned the "All-In-One" kit that I'd required for TV cable installation. All-in-one my foot!!! And the guy who has been helping me almost every time I go in said, "Omigoodness! God just really doesn't want you to have TV!" (I can't remember if he actually said 'God' but it was something along those lines). So we laughed about it and that was good, but I'm definitely in a sticky spot now because I already have my internet with Bell, and my installation fee for that is non-refundable, but if I get only cable with Rogers, I have to pay an installation fee for that... whereas if I get cable+internet with Rogers then they waive the installation fees... I still haven't made a decision on what I'm going to do. I do prefer Bell over Rogers just due to past history and experience, but I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens. I don't want to spend a single day more without internet either...
Alas alas alas!
Anyhow, I have to go to school now, so hopefully next time you hear from me you'll here all the wonderful news of how great my first day was! *knock on wood*
No comments:
Post a Comment