Selina on her new bed!

Selina on her new bed!
Yay!

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

“I kinda like it in my brand new place. I’m responsible for me, don’t leave my keys in the door, I don’t even put my towels on the floor any more…” ~ Jewel


Okay, let me just start from the end of last night because it a was a little bit humorous. There is a light on my deck.   It looks like an old English street light – it’s cute.  Anyhow, it was on last night when I got home from using internet at a Starbucks nearby. And it was around 9:45pm when I got home and showered, etc. and was wanting to go to bed. So I went around looking for the switch to turn it off… and then I realized oh! there are several switches in my apartment which seem to do nothing! I was so confused!! And the frickin’ light wasn’t turning off! I didn’t want to have to pay for electricity all night long for that one lamp and on and on and on until who knows when I’d find the switch that turned it off… so – *blush* – I called my landlord. As it turns out, the light on the deck is turned on (and off) automatically by the building every night; it goes out at around 11pm.  Then the mysterious switches:
See, the thing is that all the main lights in our apartment except for the ones in the washrooms (2) and one by the entrance are those that are attached to ceiling fans, and so you have to pull on the cord thing to turn them on.  SO the mysterious switches are for – if you want, you can turn the fan on and then use the switch to turn it off, or you can turn the fan and light on and use the switches to turn them on/off  (I guess when I was turning the switches on and off the fan was off and the light too, and so I had no idea what these futile switches were for).  It definitely sent my head for a spin though, trying to turn off that outside light and discovering several futile switches in my apartment.

I fell asleep at around 10pm last night and woke at around 5am this morning – not too bad, 7 hours of sleep.  I think I woke up though because my back was a bit sore.  The yoga mat was not bad considering it’s about half a centimeter in thickness, and it helps that our floors are carpeted, but I wasn’t quite all that comfortable compared with my bed at home.  So I woke up even before the sun was up! But the good thing was that I got to watch the sun rise at around 6am, which is very visible and beautiful both from our living area and my bedroom! Another plus for large windows.  Also, I’m supposed to be getting a lovely red sofa delivered this Friday, so I am very excited about that And my mother arrives tomorrow!  AND my landlord offered to bring me a little cot to sleep on, so I might just take him up on that offer today.  People in Canadian London seem very helpful so far. They must be used to foreigners coming from all parts of faraway places and not knowing how they’re going to make it through the first week of living in an empty place (let me let you know it consists of a lot of doing things on the floor – eating, sleeping, typing on a laptop…).  The person from Bell who sold me a bunch of deals here and there, and I was also interested in cable so another one of his coworkers said, “Why do you do [such-and-such] so she can have [this and that] free, too?”  Yay!
And then the girl who sold me the cell phone, she also goes to Western and she was super sweet.  Apparently she takes a certain type of business program at Western and doesn’t like Economics, but that’s a different subject.  And then there’s the people from whom I’m buying the sofa and they’re driving here like 25km to bring it to me and the lady told me her husband and son are experienced movers and so we won’t have to worry about hiring movers, they’ll just do it for us! And then the landlord also seems very caring about where I’m going to sleep and am I going to be comfortable, and so on. 
I don't know if it's just a cooler day today or if my human body just takes about 24 hours or one sleep (whichever comes first, perhaps) to adjust to a new atmosphere's temperature and water density in the air, but today I feel much less disturbed and distracted by the heat and humidity levels of this city.
:)
Good news.
I need to go buy hangers for the body of clothing seems to have exploded from each of my two suitcases on the floor of my apartment.  Poor articles seem to have been trying to escape when the apocalypse came and left them all wrinkled and weary and strewn this-way-and-that in their tracks.
More updates later...

No comments:

Post a Comment